About the Department:
Postgraduate Department of Botany has been established in the year 2017. The Department currently offers Master of Science in Botany (M.Sc., Botany). At present, its student intake capacity is 40 for M.Sc. Department is well established in a separate wing in the college campus. Presently there are 2 classrooms, 2 student laboratories, a separate museum for keeping specimens required for academic activities and a staff room.
All the classrooms and laboratories are well equipped with necessary furniture’s to carry out regular teaching activities. Classrooms and student laboratories are provided with white board and overhead projectors to enable ICT method of teaching. With vision of giving up-to-date knowledge in the subject. Each room in the department is provided with internet connectivity.
Our vision has been to impart quality education to budding Botany professionals and also foster strong interdisciplinary Research in frontier areas of Life science. Qualified and dedicated faculty members form the backbone for teaching and research endeavours at our department.
Programme Offered: M.Sc Botany
- To ensure that student can achieve an up‐to‐date level of understanding of plant science.
- To prepare the curriculum as such that it can attract, enthuse, sustain and promote the interest of learners for selecting Botany and allied disciplines as their career and make them realize that their choice is intellectually rewarding.
- To increase the awareness of young learners about the abuse to which plants have been subjected by human greed, and to expertise in exploration, identification and evaluation of plants, conservation of nature and natural resources and in the protection of endangered plant species and other biota dependent on them.
- To provide training in scientific and transferable skills through modular lecture courses, research projects, written work, seminars and supervisions.
- Capacity to think critically, ability to design and execute an experiment; confidence and ability in communicating ideas.
- Career based in research ‐ whether industry or academia - as well as teaching, private or government.
At the completion of M. Sc. in Botany the students are able to:
- Understand the classification, structure, reproduction and multiplication, nutrition, characters, and Economic importance of Virus, Bacteria and Fungi.
- Understand the concept, classification, development, management of plant diseases. Study of various diseases in crop plants.
- Identify/ classify the plants using systematic classification.
- Understand the thallus organisation, pigmentation, life cycles, mass cultivation, blooming character, fresh and marine types of algal communities.
- Understand the structure and composition of biomolecules, structure and function of intracellular organelles, chromosomal theories of inheritance, concept of genes, gene mapping methods.
- Understand the methods and different techniques in breeding, breeding for specific purposes, seed production, scientific and modern plant breeders.
- Nature and development of evolution, Fossilization, types of natural selection, variations in genes and speciation concept.
- Understand the principles, types, techniques, procedures and applications of Chromatography, Spectroscopy, Electrophoresis and Centrifugation.
- Solute transport mechanism in cell membranes, Signal transduction pathways, plant hormones, photosynthesis, respiration of plants, nitrogen and lipid metabolism, classification, types, properties of proteins and enzymes and Water, drought, salinity, heat stress physiology in plants.
- Understand the nature of genetic material, organisation of chromosomes and genes in prokaryotes, DNA replications, mutations, repair mechanism, recombination, RNA synthesis, processing and translation, Regulation of gene expression in prokaryotes and eukaryotes.
- Assess the plant adaptations, habitat ecology, plant communities and ecosystems, biodiversity and conservation.
- Understand the production, harvesting, maintenance of seeds, Seed quality testing and seed certification.
The Botany laboratories are specialized and equipped to conduct advanced practicals and research work. The laboratories are equipped with equipment’s like UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, Electrophoresis systems (vertical and horizontal), Water Baths, Compound microscopes, Stereo microscopes, Dissection microscopes, Centrifuge, Bio-Oxygen Demand incubators, Bacteriological incubators, Hot air oven, Double distillation unit, Laminar air flow, Electronic weighing balance, UV chamber.
Placements: 2017-19 batch yet to pass out
Higher Education: 2017-19 batch yet to pass out
Contact: Dr. Biligiriranga, V.
Head of the Department,
PG Department of Botany